Monday, November 9, 2009

Time to revisit the list

Holy crap, it's November! Time keeps ticking away and I haven't looked at my list for at least a month. There's a lot to do on there: read 30 books, lose weight, re-learn French; I may have been slightly ambitious when creating it.

I feel like I mean some strides on one of my goals last week: I kind of, sort of moved a notch up the corporate ladder. I had a meeting with my boss last week, something I should have done a long time ago, to discuss my current performance and the next steps in my career. I'm a modest person in aspects of my life, but when it comes to my career I'll be the first to tell you that I've kicked some serious ass since I joined the company three years ago. However, as vocal as I am about my accomplishments to my family and friends, I can't seem to have that difficult conversation with my boss. You know the one, "I feel that I deserve a promotion."

I had every intention of using last week's meeting to implicitly state my thoughts on a promotion, but instead the conversation went something like this:
B: "I scheduled this meeting so we could check in on how I'm doing relative to my goals as well as discuss what my next steps are here."
Boss lady: "I'm incredibly impressed with your performance. You continue to take on additional responsibility and show strategic initiative."
B: "So I'm on track for a promotion ... "

And then my brain got in the way and I started freaking out that I was asking too much and what if she says no. So my dumb ass follows that statement with ...
B: "... when the economy turns around the company starts making money."
Boss lady: "Yep, sometime in the future."

I swear I sabotage myself. So how did I make any headway on my goal to climb the corporate ladder? I had a tough conversation, and those are difficult for me. And although I bitched out at the last moment my hope for a promotion is on her radar, and hopefully in the near future I'll see some results.

I'm now off to find out whether or not Rosetta Stone can make good on their promise that I can start speaking French within 10 minutes.

-B

0 comments:

Post a Comment