Saturday, December 5, 2009

Hosting vs. Hasting

Hasting??? That's my version of an event you have to host that you don't want to.

I love hosting. I love having people over at my house. I love creating menus for guests and figuring out wine pairings. I love setting up the dining room table and figuring out creative ideas to spark conversation. In fact, I love hosting so much that my husband and I throw an annual kickass holiday party. Alright, he really has nothing to do it other than making sure I don't spend too much money and playing bartender for the night. But it's something I look forward to every year as my ultimate hosting event ... it should be available on Pay-Per-View.

However, despite my love for hosting I despise hasting. My job in the Communications industry means that part of my job includes organizing, managing and hosting corporate events. I'm the envy of my friends during those events, in their mind I get paid to party ... not quite. Tonight is my company's annual holiday party that I'm responsible for. There's nothing fun about the tons of work that goes into the event, dealing with vendors (including a crazy Mr. and Mrs. Claus), working for the entire party while all of my colleagues have a good time at the company party (where the hell is my party that I get to relax at?) or working 10 hours on a Saturday in addition to my regular week.

So to all those future PR girls who think there would be nothing better than being paid to party, take a moment to think about hosting vs. hasting because hasting definitely sucks.

-B

0 comments:

Post a Comment