Sunday, February 14, 2010

#21 is done!


I can say with complete honesty I completed number 21 on my list: Get rid of all the extra stuff piling up in my life I don't need- sell or donate.
This goal was inspired by the same event that created the need for it. In 2005 I moved out of a 3-bedroom house and packed what I could fit in my car and moved to San Diego. Everything else I owned was moved into the basement of my mothers. Living in an apartment with only what I could fit in my car was the most refreshing 6 months of my life. Since then I have yearned to have that feeling again but just haven’t made it happen.
Since then I have moved two more times, and again “storing” boxes in the basement at my mothers. The last move included storing everything my husband and I owned that didn’t fit in my childhood bedroom.
It was time to sort through five years worth of boxes and get rid of all the crap. I always find it hard to believe how much stuff you can accumulate in year… and trying to decide what is worth keeping and what can be trashed is an emotional rollercoaster.

January 31 consisted of 8 hours straight in the basement, 2 trips to the Goodwill and 10 very large outdoor trashcans. The next three days were very similar. At this point we have taken 6 trips to the Goodwill and have filled up more trashcans than anyone could imagine but I could not be happier.
Best thing about this goal is that I am going to keep moving forward with it. I am NEVER going to let myself get back into a situation where I have that much stuff boxed up for someday.Live in moment; keep only the very most important memories and let the rest go.

0 comments:

Post a Comment